The Oncotype DX Colon Recurrence Score test is a genomic test performed on the tumor already taken during your surgery.
You may be a candidate for the Colon Recurrence Score test if:
- You have been diagnosed with colon cancer (stages II or III A/B).
- You have had surgery to remove the tumor.
- You have not yet started chemotherapy or other treatment.
Talk about the test with your doctor
Like other laboratory tests, the Colon Recurrence Score test must be ordered by an authorized licensed healthcare provider (like your doctor). However, the decision about whether or not to get the test is one you and your doctor should make together.
Not sure how to start the conversation? The following are some questions you can ask your doctor to better understand your cancer:
- How can I get a copy of my pathology report?
- How large is my tumor? What stage is it?
- How do the cancer cells look compared to my normal cells? (This question relates to tumor grade.)
- Is my colon cancer still localized, or has it spread to my lymph nodes or other areas of my body?
- What is MMR status?
- Is the tumor affecting the health and function of my bowels?
- Is there a way to tell how quickly my cancer is growing?
- What is the risk my cancer will return after surgery?
- What can I do to help prevent the return of my cancer?
- Will I need chemotherapy? If so, what kind? What will the treatment be like?
- How do my medical history and age factor into my decision?
- How often should I get screening for recurrent cancer?
- Am I a candidate for the Colon Recurrence Score test or other diagnostic tests?
- What information can the Oncotype DX test(s) provide regarding my treatment options?
Insurance coverage and financial assistance
The Colon Recurrence Score test is covered by Medicare, and private insurance coverage varies. Once you and your doctor agree the test is right for you, you may want to find out if the test is covered by your insurance. You can contact your insurance company directly. If you have questions about the test itself, contact Customer Service by phone 888-ONCOTYPE (888-662-6897) or by email at email@example.com.