Talk to your doctor about using the Oncotype DX Genomic Prostate Score (GPS) and whether it’s right for you. If your doctor orders the test, no additional procedures are needed—samples from your most recent biopsy will be analyzed to provide information on the aggressiveness of your tumor.
Is the test right for you?
You could be eligible for the Oncotype DX GPS test if you have:
- Had your prostate biopsied within the last three years.
- Been diagnosed with NCCN very-low, low, or select cases of intermediate risk prostate cancer.
- Not received definitive treatment for prostate cancer (e.g. surgery, radiation, hormone blockade).
Clinically low-risk prostate cancer includes NCCN very-low, low, or select cases of intermediate risk and means:
- Your blood levels of prostate-specific antigen (PSA), a protein produced in the prostate gland, are less than 20 ng/mL.
- Your Gleason score, an estimate of prostate cancer aggressiveness based on how the cancer looks under a microscope, is 3+3 or 3+4.
- The stage of your tumor is T1c or any T2.
If you don’t know these numbers or are not sure, ask your doctor, or request a copy of your pathology report.
3 simple steps to get the test
With your Genomic Prostate Score, you and your doctor will have the information you need to create a plan that is right for you.
- TEST: The Oncotype DX GPS test is conducted on a small tissue sample already taken from your most recent biopsy.
- RECEIVE: About 2 weeks after your biopsy arrives at the Exact Sciences laboratory, your GPS result will be available to your doctor. Your results will include your level of risk for prostate cancer death and metastasis within 10 years after surgery, as well as your risk for adverse pathology.
- DISCUSS: You and your doctor can use your results to better understand your options and discuss what’s next for you.
The Oncotype DX GPS test is covered by Medicare (for eligible patients with NCCN Very Low- or Low-Risk Prostate cancer). Private insurance coverage varies. Learn more about insurance coverage and financial assistance.